This is a list of our favorite cross country ski areas here in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and very nearby White Mountains of New Hampshire.
One of the top outdoor winter activities is cross country skiing (Nordic skiing). It’s fun, safe, affordable (if not free), and can be done just about anywhere. There are miles and miles (and miles) of cross country ski (and snowshoeing) trails here. Start with the peaceful trails through nearby woods behind the inn. Then, you can cross the street and ski the trail through quiet fields, along the Connecticut River. The mountain views are stunning. Or, you can wander a bit to explore a wide variety of other cross country ski areas that surround Rabbit Hill Inn. Which ever direction you choose, the best part is just getting out there. It’s a terrific way to back into nature. No equipment? No problem. We have convenient rental options for you too.
Here are our favorite Nordic Ski Trail picks:
Note: these trails are also ideal for snowshoeing.
We begin with these great area Nordic ski centers that offer extensive groomed terrain for both classic and skate skiing (of all levels) and snowshoeing.
- Kingdom Trails (Uncrowded. Day pass $20, 2-day Weekend pass $30.
- Willoughby State Forest (Uncrowded. FREE – donations welcome)
- Craftsbury Nordic Center (Uncrowded. Day pass $10. Rentals onsite)
- Dashney Nordic Center (At Burke Ski Mtn. Day pass $15. Only Sat & Sun)
- Bretton Woods Nordic Center (Note: a busy ski resort area. Day pass $21/$31. Rentals onsite)
- Loon Mountain Nordic Center (Also a busy ski resort area. Rentals onsite)
- Mt. Washington Valley Nordic ski & Snowshoe (large trail system near No. Conway NH) ** Pro Tip: You can access these 45km of groomed trails from the awesome Cathedral Ledge Distillery
Next up, our awesome nearby multi-use trails that serve very well for exciting occasionally groomed cross country ski and snowshoe trails. Trail maps will guide you to your preferred level of ski challenge.
- Lamoille Valley Rail Trail (Uncrowded – Free access)
- Parker Mountain Trails (Uncrowded – Free access)
- Franconia Notch State Park Recreation Path (Uncrowded. Free access. While there, the Flume Gorge Trails are also ideal for Nordic skiing).
Ski Rentals nearby: We recommend calling first to assure equipment availability.
- East Burke Sports (VT)
- Village Sports Shop (VT)
- Lahout’s Ski Shop (NH)
After your invigorating outdoor adventure, warm up at the inn with a heavenly hot cocoa or craft beer by the fire, or perhaps a long soak in your whirlpool tub for two.