Outdoor Vacation Activities Near Our Inn in Northern Vermont
… a deliciously romantic Vermont experience!
Biking & Winter Fat Biking
Saddle up your bike, fill the water bottle and ride the roads and trails of Vermont’s beautiful Northeast Kingdom. You could start right from the door of Rabbit Hill Inn. Since you’re so close, you can also explore the terrific biking trails of the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Take a day trip, cycle for a few hours, or ride miles and miles of scenic back country roads.Read More...
The varied terrain includes routes through valleys, along ridges, over mountains, through quaint towns and villages, across covered bridges on both paved and unpaved roads. In addition to the roads and paths, mountain bikers can enjoy the Kingdom Trails network, rated “among the top 10 in the world” by the International Biking Association. You will easily find trails to accommodate all bike styles and levels of ability. Take advantage of these terrific Road Biking Routes throughout the Northeast Kingdom.
Kingdom Trails also offers fantastic Winter Fat Biking Trails in the snowy months.
Check out all these terrific trails:
- Kingdom Trails, East Burke (video)
- Bike Trails in the Northeast Kingdom
- Gravel Road Trails in the Northeast Kingdom
- White Mountains
- Franconia Notch Bike Path
- PRKR Mountain Trails
We can also assist you with guided bike excursions! Don’t Have a Bike? Why Not Rent One? Advance reservations are encouraged.
ATV Guided Tours
Get up close and personal with nature with a guided ATV ride through the back country of Vermont and northern New Hampshire. No experience necessary for this thrilling adventure! Your guided ATV tour is an awesome (and exciting) way to take in the forest, beautiful scenery, mountain vistas, and wildlife areas that you would never see by car. Whether you are a first timer or a seasoned ATV rider, professional guides will provide a memorable experience. When you book your stay at Rabbit Hill Inn, ask for the ATV Tour add-on package. It includes a two hour guided tour and a delicious picnic to enjoy along the way.
Bird, Moose & Wildlife Watching
This is truly a birders’ paradise! You’ll see bald eagles, hawks, peregrine falcons, osprey, loon, blue heron, a variety of owls, woodpeckers and hundreds of others. The big guys are out there too – such as moose, black bear, whitetail deer and much more. Easy drives will take you to and through the Northern Connecticut River Watershed, White Mountains National Forest, the Northeast Kingdom’s famous “Moose Alley,” and several wildlife sanctuaries.Read More...
Here are just a few of our local hot spots:
- Connecticut River (just a stroll from the inn)
- Lake Willoughby / Mt Pisgah
- Darling Hill / Kingdom Trails / Burke Mtn
- Victory Basin
- Franconia Notch State Park (watch video)
One of the best ways to explore the back country is with an experienced nature guide. Camera is mandatory!
- Victory Hilton Guide Service (802) 633-4928, Barnet, VT – Don Easter will happily pick you up at the door of Rabbit Hill Inn
Canoeing-Kayaking / Paddle Boarding / Swimming
More than 40,000 acres of lakes and 4,000 miles of rivers and streams define the Northeast Kingdom and White Mountain regions. These numerous waterways, both large and small, offer many opportunities for boating, canoeing, kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming, fishing and wildlife viewing. Enjoy placid waters for leisurely rowing and canoeing.Read More...
Choose more active rivers and larger lakes for more challenging paddling and motor boating. Lucky for us, we are just a brief stroll to the Connecticut River. Terrific guided excursions are available too. A few of our favorite options: Clyde River, Lake Willoughby, Crystal Lake, Harvey’s Lake, Joe’s Pond, Echo Lake / Franconia Notch State Park, NH, Connecticut River, and Moore Reservoir.
Canoe, Kayak, and Motor Boat rentals are available at many of these locations. You may also rent from these fine sport outfitters:
- Clyde River Recreation (802) 895-4333, West Charleston, VT
- North Country Kayak (603) 562-9864, Littleton, NH (rentals & guided tours)
- White Mountain Adventure Sports, Paddle boarding rentals & guided tours, Littleton, NH
- East Burke Sports (800) 626-3215, East Burke, VT
- Village Sport Shop (802) 626-8448, Lyndonville, VT
Indoor swimming available at a few nearby fitness centers & area hotels for a fee.
Great Vermont Corn MazeMore Info
This experience is tons of fun and lots of laughs! 3 miles of puzzling rows and turns through a cornfield. A new maze is designed each year. It can take from 45 minutes to 2 hours to solve the perplexing puzzles. Along the way you will enjoy 360 degrees of panoramic mountain views.
(open late July through mid-October)
Fishing / Fishing Guides
This sport is extremely popular in our area. Whether you are a novice or an expert angler, your adventure will be extraordinary! You can fish shore side, bring a boat, rent a boat or spend a day with a full-service fishing guide (equipment is provided). The waters in this region teem with trout, bass, pike, pickerel, and freshwater salmon. We would happily assist you with a fishing license and finding the perfect spot. Read more local fishing and guide info here.Read More...
- Fly Fish Vermont – fly fishing tours, classes, and workshops.
(802) 253-3964, Stowe, VT
- Gibbs Guides – offering a wide variety of fishing experiences in nearby VT and NH.
(603) 835-3358 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, Island Pond, VT
- White Mountain Fly Fishing Guides Service – Nate Hill, your guide, offers full service guided wade and float fishing trips.
603-835-3358 or email info@white mountainflyfishing.com
There are three golf courses within 20 minutes of Rabbit Hill Inn. Each one offers a challenging course surrounded by beautiful mountain views. Try a different course each day. We will gladly arrange tee times for you. Lessons and rental equipment (clubs, shoes, etc.) are readily available.Read More...
- St. Johnsbury Country Club is a Par 70 course. The original first 9 holes require finesse, the new back 9 demand power — two distinct golf experiences that complement each other perfectly. — our favorite
- Maplewood Country Club offers a Donald Ross designed 18 hole, Par 72 course boasting a legitimate par 6 hole. Driving Range/lessons.
- Bethlehem Country Club also a Donald Ross designed 18 hole course, Par 70
Helicopter RidesMore Info
Go big and see it all on a fabulous helicopter ride from Vertical Ventures Aviation! There are six awesome scenic flight packages to choose from. The most popular route is the “White Mountain Spectacular” – an amazing 60-minute tour capturing some of New England’s most iconic natural landmarks, Presidential Range and the highest peaks of the White Mountains.Read More...
From the mighty Mount Washington to Franconia Notch, see the mountains, waterfalls, lakes, and majestic grand hotels like you’ve never seen them before! Available year ‘round, weather permitting.
(855) 435-9882 – Whitefield, NH
In addition to our 10 acres of wooded trails here at Rabbit Hill Inn, there is a lifetime of hiking adventures awaiting you here. Don your best hiking shoes and remember your camera! You’ll discover breathtaking heights, scenic overlooks, great wildlife, waterfalls, and pure unspoiled countryside. We will gladly help you choose the perfect trail.Read More...
Here are just a few of many favorite suggestions:
- White Mountains National Forest
- Franconia Notch State Park
- Flume Gorge
- Crawford Notch State Park
- The Northeast Kingdom
- Kingdom Trails
- PRKR Mountain Trails
Popular Hikes in Burke Mountain area
- Victory State Forest — One of the wild ones in the Northeast Kingdom, this state park wraps around the Victory Basin Wildlife Management Area, which has the Moose River flowing through it and an open bog. The real gem, though, is 2,000-acre Darling State Park, home of 3,267-foot Burke Mountain. Amazing bird watching. The hike to the top on the West Peak Trail has been a well-kept secret.
- Willoughby State Forest — A stunning expanse: the peaks of Mount Pisgah and Mount Hor rise vertically out of Lake Willoughby. Besides the lake, Willoughby has several crystalline ponds that are superior trout waters. Hiking in Willoughby is great. There are more than 12 miles of hiking trails, mostly in the easy to moderate range. Many of these trails connect to trails that cross private land on Wheeler, Bald, Haystack and McSherry mountains. We recommend the Mt. Pisgah South Trail, which reaches two overlooks with views out to the White Mountains and points in between. But perhaps the real drama of this trail is found along the cliff tops above the lake-not for acrophobics.
- Groton State Forest — The second largest contiguous landholding by the State of Vermont. A year-round trail system connects most major points of interest. All of the trails are in the day hike range, with the longest being a mere 3 miles. Search out the Peacham Bog Natural Area, which is one of the largest bogs in Vermont (great for wildlife viewing). Groton State Forest has seven state parks attached to it, offering a full range of outdoor recreation facilities, including campgrounds, boat launches, and swimming spots.
…a spectacular way to enjoy the beauty and grandeur of our area. Rides are available year round. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced rider, the perfect horse and trail awaits you. Advance reservations are recommended — we will gladly make them for you.
- D-N-D Stables (802) 626-8237, East Burke, VT
- Loon Mountain Equestrian Center (603) 745-6938, Lincoln, NH
Rock Climbing / Ice Climbing / Mountaineering
Perhaps it’s time to reach new heights…Read More...
International Mountain Climbing School offers comprehensive climbing instruction and guided services. Programs are open to people of “All ages, All abilities, All the time…our mission is to provide every climber with a safe, enjoyable and worthwhile climbing experience. Our long-term goal is to run a friendly, personal guide service that you will return to year after year. It’s a job and a passion that allows us to share the excitement of climbing and the mountain environment with you.”
Contact IMCS: (603) 356-7064 Email: email@example.com
Adventure Spirit Guides also offer comprehensive services for Rock, Ice, and Mountain Climbing. “We welcome individuals, families, and groups. We see climbing as a lifetime activity that can be enjoyed at all ages and stages of life and can be enjoyed individually or shared with friends and family. No matter what your climbing interests, objectives, and abilities, if you enjoy climbing, we share that passion with you and we look forward to working with you to grow that passion.”
Contact Adventure Spirit (802) 535-1498 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
New England Climbs – an informational resource for climbing in the White Mountains.
Skiing – Cross Country
Our snowy winters are perfect for this very affordable activity. There are several prime spots to develop your skills and enjoy the great outdoor sights. We begin with a 6.5 K trail right here at Rabbit Hill Inn. Choose from numerous groomed and track-set trails that pass from hill farm to white clapboard villages, laid out to showcase the beauty of this area’s classic landscape. These area Nordic ski centers offer extensive well-groomed trails networks for both classic and skate skiing. Rental equipment is easily available.Read More...
Skiing – Downhill
Our neighborhood offers several terrific ski areas (of course, we have a few favorites). Each resort has its own unique character and provides outstanding ski trails and services. Here you will find less crowding, great natural conditions and varied terrain enhanced by modern lifts and advanced snowmaking systems to ensure excitement for all skill levels. Rentals & lessons are obtained easily. By the way, many of these ski areas offer great Snowboarding and Tubing.Read More...
Sled Dog Rides
The ultimate winter adventure, experience the thrill of flying across the snow under the extraordinary power of the sled dog! Tours are as hands-on as you want them to be. Learn how to harness the dogs, ride the runners, or just sit back and have the ride of your life while enjoying the breathtaking scenery. There are plenty of opportunities to stop and take pictures and to drive your own team.Read More...
The picture-perfect romantic sleigh ride awaits you. Whisk away on a truly memorable ride through snow-flocked forests and fields with stunning views of the mountains. Just like in the movies! Click here for full list of sleigh ride options.
With more than 75,000 acres of public and forest park lands, plus thousands of hiking trails, finding a place to snowshoe is never a problem. Just strap on a pair of snowshoes and go in any direction (right from our front door if you wish). Up here, we measure our snowfall in feet, not inches. Now that’s a Vermont experience! Equipment rentals are easily available. Click here for a list of snowshoe trail networks
This adventure is not to be missed. You don’t need experience. We can arrange a terrific guided tour for you! Check out this Snowmobile Tour Add-on Package. For those that wish to be independent, the Vermont Association of Snow Travelers VAST currently provides 3,549 miles of groomed trails and more than 1,500 miles of secondary and feeder trails throughout the Green Mountain State.Read More...
Vermont’s snowmobiling capital is Island Pond, with trail connections linking in all directions. Riders who have been coming to The Kingdom for many years say it is the best snowmobiling anywhere. The White Mountains / Franconia Notch areas also provide fantastic trail options. You can bring your own sled and hit the trails from the Rabbit Hill Inn.
Wild Truck Safari & Side x Side Extreme Off-road AdventuresMore Info
Wild and exhilarating! Two thrilling and unique off-road adventures to choose from (or do both!). You will capture beauty of the White Mountains in a whole new way – any time of year. Ride the 6 wheel drive military off-road Pinzqauer or take the wheel of your own Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000. Perhaps you’ll be brave enough to sign up for one of these “extreme off-road” adventures. Be assured, you are in good hands with a skilled guide team the entire time.
- Alpine Adventures (603) 745-9911, Lincoln, NH
Zip-Line Tour AdventureMore Info
Alpine Adventures Zipline Tours are the biggest ziplines in New England. With 21 zip-lines on 3 separate courses, you’ll cover almost 3 miles of exhilaration through and above the treetops at heights of up to 250′ above the wooded ground. Platforms are 25′ to 65′ high in the trees and the zip-lines are 100′ to 1600′ long with speed that can reach 75 mph.Read More...
Each Zipline tour includes an off-road truck ride to the top of the course in a 6 wheel Swiss Army Pinzgauer. Hands down, this is the best way to capture the views of the White Mountains. Take a look at this video!