These are our top picks for excellent snowshoeing adventures in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and very nearby White Mountains of New Hampshire.
Snowshoeing really is for everyone! Some say, “if you can walk, you can snowshoe.” That’s probably why snowshoeing has become hugely popular. It’s fun, easy, affordable (if not free), and can be done wherever there is a good snow base. In addition to simply heading into serene woodlands and fields, there are countless miles of cross country ski trails here. And these trails are also perfect for snowshoeing. Starting right here, at Rabbit Hill Inn, we’ll guide you to the wooded trails behind the inn. You can also cross the street and snowshoe through quiet fields, along the Connecticut River. The mountain views are stunning. If you wish to wander off a bit, there are plenty of terrific cross country / Nordic ski areas to explore. No matter which direction you choose, you will have so much fun! Snowshoeing is tranquil and exhilarating at the same time. No equipment? Don’t fret. We have convenient rental options for you too.
These are our favorite Nordic Ski Trail areas that are ideal for snowshoeing:
The following Nordic ski centers offer extensive groomed terrain for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.
- Kingdom Trails (Uncrowded. Day pass $20, 2-day Weekend pass $30.
- Willoughby State Forest (Uncrowded. FREE – donations welcome). Here you’ll discover a network of groomed trails that snowshoers can use to access more challenging / difficult ungroomed trails through Mt. Hor and Bartlett Mountain. Mt. Pisgah also has it’s own network of snowshoe trails (moderate & advanced levels).
- Craftsbury Nordic Center (Uncrowded. Day pass $10. Rentals onsite)
- Dashney Nordic Center (At Burke Ski Mtn. Day pass $15. Only Sat & Sun)
- Bretton Woods Nordic Center (Note: a busy ski resort area. Day pass $21/$31. Rentals onsite)
- Loon Mountain Nordic Center (Also a busy ski resort area. Rentals onsite)
But wait, there’s more! Here are three of our favorite multi-use trail areas that serve very well for fantastic snowshoe trails and winter hiking trails.
- Lamoille Valley Rail Trail (Uncrowded – Free access)
- Parker Mountain Trails (Uncrowded – Free access)
- Franconia Notch State Park Recreation Path (Uncrowded. Free access. While there, the Flume Gorge Trails are also ideal for Nordic skiing).
Snowshoe rentals nearby: We recommend calling first to assure equipment availability.
- East Burke Sports (VT)
- Village Sports Shop (VT)
- Lahout’s Ski Shop (NH)
After your exciting snowshoe adventure, return home to the inn for a luscious hot cocoa or glass of wine by the fire, enjoy a long soak in your whirlpool tub for two, or perhaps enjoy a pampering in-room massage (advance appointments required).