You must try this easy dessert recipe – Butternut Custard, topped with yogurt cheese and drizzled with Lemon Pepper Honey. A perfect dessert… not too sweet, but light and delicious. Everyone is raving about this dessert and begging for the recipe. Chef Phyllis encourages you all to try this heavenly custard recipe.
Drizzle and top it with whatever you desire, if at all. This certainly will become one of your “go to” dessert recipes. You can make this dish 3-4 days in advance. Keep it well covered in refrigerator.
> Prep notes: You will need a blender and a water bath for your serving dish(es). Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
> Recipe Yield: number of servings varies depending on size of service dish(es)
Ingredients for custard:
2 cups butternut squash, roughly chopped, peeled, and seeded
1 cup heavy cream
4 large eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Method for custard:
- Cook squash and heavy cream together until soft. Blend smooth in blender, cool slightly
- Blend in eggs, sugar, and vanilla
- Pour in shallow baking dish (or individual dishes)
- In a water bath, cook in 325 degree oven for 20-30 minutes, or until custard sets.
Yogurt Cheese Recipe: You will need 32 oz yogurt (plain or whatever flavor you prefer), a large bowl, colander, cheesecloth
Method for yogurt cheese:
- Cut a piece of cheesecloth four times the size of your colander
- Rinse this under cold water and ring it out tight (this removes any starches from the cheesecloth)
- Fold it eight layers thick and place over colander. Place the lined colander over a bowl to catch the whey
- Pour 32 oz container of yogurt into lined colander. Set in the fridge for about 4 to 6 hours to drain. Longer depending on the denseness you desire.
- Remove from cheesecloth and store in air tight container. Keep in fridge. You can use the whey for baking or smoothies.
- This cheese is very versatile – mix with herbs, spices, sugars, salts, even other cheeses.
*** For this dessert dish, I use half yogurt cheese, blended with half cream cheese
Lemon Pepper Honey recipe: In a sauce pan, warm honey and add cracked pepper and lemon zest to taste. Heat long enough to infuse flavor – not a boil. You may use honey as is, or you can remove the pepper and zest by filtering the honey through a fine mesh sieve.