This hearty vegetable stew recipe rocks!!! It has it all… tons of healthy veggies, protein-rich beans & lentils, heavenly polenta, and terrific flavor. It is a dee-lish healthy stew recipe that will soon become a favorite in your recipe files. It’s a perfect vegetarian AND gluten free stew recipe.
Ingredients: This recipe yields 12 cups
Step One: Night before: Prepare three types of beans
- 1/2 cup white beans
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup cranberry beans
* Cover in water and soaked over night, then strained
Step Two: Making The stew Side note: Cut potatoes, carrots, squash, the same size to assure they all cook properly
- 2 cups onion, medium diced
- 1 cup red onion, medium diced
- 1-cup celery, medium diced
- 1 Tbls garlic, minced
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 2 cups potatoes, diced large
- 1 cup carrots, diced large
- 1 cup butternut squash, diced large
- 1 cup Brussel sprouts (halved if large)
- 2 qts. vegetable stock
- 2 cups washed fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups washed kale, chopped
- 1 cup lentils
- 1½ cups cornmeal (polenta)
- 2½ Tbls salt
- 1 Tbsp white pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot until hot. Add onions, garlic, and celery and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, squash, brussel sprouts, and strained beans. Pour in vegetable stock. Bring to a boil; then, turn down the heat and cover. Cook until the beans become soft. This may take approximately 30 or 40 minutes. All vegetables should become appropriately soft at the same time if cut properly.
- Add spinach, kale, lentils, and salt & pepper and allow to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Slowly add cornmeal, whisking until well incorporated. The cornmeal will thicken the mixture. You may add less if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Simmer the stew for another 10 minutes.
- If you are chilling the stew to be served later, you may need a little more vegetable stock or water to thin the stew when reheating.
Serve with your favorite crusty bread.