An ice cream tour? Why Not? This is the red carpet list of the best ice cream spots in Northern Vermont!
We must admit, there are plenty of fantastic ice cream shops here in Northern Vermont. But we just had to give you a list of our TOP ice cream places. They made our “Best Vermont Ice cream Shops” list because they are not just a typical ice cream place. Each one is a unique and fun experience. That makes the ice cream even MORE delicious.
Consider this your Vermont ice cream trail. Visit them all – make a day trip out of it! You will see stunning sights, devour the creamiest frozen goodness (whether you prefer the classic flavors or more unusual varieties), and have an Instagramable great time too! So what if you ate ice cream all day, we won’t tell a soul.
- Bragg Farm Sugarhouse – MUST DO! Vermonters will tell you, “You HAVE to get a maple creamie!” They are right, you do. And Braggs is a great place to get this heavenly Vermont ice cream treat. The maple milk shakes are pretty awesome too. While there, visit the sugar house, take the maple sugaring tour and learn about the sugaring process. Spend time petting the friendly farm animals or hang out and in the mountain view. Bonus: There is a covered bridge nearby too. (open year round) Location: 1005 VT Route 14 North, East Montpelier, VT 05651
- Milkhouse Ice Cream Shop – Our local neighborhood ice cream spot (just 10 minutes away). Great variety of flavors. Shakes, banana splits, sundaes, and very generous sized cones! (Open May thru early Oct) Location: 292 Portland Street, St. Johnsbury, VT.
- Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory – Perhaps you have heard of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream? Come and visit the famous Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream Factory (we call it the Mother Ship). Take a factory tour, taste a zillion ice creams, and be sure to pay your respects at the famous Ben & Jerry’s flavor graveyard (Open year round)
Location: 1281 Waterbury-Stowe Rd Waterbury, VT 05676
- Carmen’s Ice Cream Shop – A MUST GO! We love having this great ice cream shop so close by. Everything a classic country ice cream parlor should be! Choose from more than 50 ice cream varieties including hard & soft style, organic ice creams, gelatos, frozen yogurts, gluten and dairy free options. Go old school here with a banana split, and lime rickys. Better yet, have one of their VERY famous sundaes. They are listed in “America’s Top 500 Sundae Places”. Hang out on the picnic tables at this old freighthouse and enjoy an old-fashioned ice cream experience.(Open year round) Location: 1000 Broad Street, Lyndonville, VT 05851
- Chill Vermont Gelato – LOVE IT! Can’t say enough about this awesome little gelato shop! Daily made, small batch, Sicilian-style (no eggs), and local ingredients. The flavor choices are incredible. We encourage you to expand your palette here and try a number of unique flavors. You can thank us later. The vibe of this downtown state capitol area makes this ice cream spot even more cool. (open year round)
Location: 32 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont
- Tim & Doug’s Ice Cream – A big local secret & a uniquely fun shopping experience too! Folks flock here for their ice cream fix. Great selection of unique flavors, sundaes, smoothies, flurries whipped with candy, and more! Dairy-free options available too. BONUS – this awesome ice cream shop is in a really cool (crazy cool, actually) huge emporium of “anything & everything” store called The Pick and Shovel. You have got to see this place! Ice cream shop open April through Oct. Location: 54 Coventry St, Newport, VT
Our “Plus One” – There’s just one more Vermont place we HAVE to add to the list… the Rabbit Hill Inn Yes! Our pastry chef makes incredible ice creams right here at the inn. Her dessert menu includes an impressive selection of luscious and very memorable ice creams and sorbets. Her flavor offerings will blow you away. Be sure to have dinner at the Rabbit Hill Inn restaurant, and save room for your Vermont ice cream grand finale.
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE…
So, we’ve covered the Vermont side. We just had to share a sweet ice cream spot in close by New Hampshire (we’re just 10 minutes away). If you are craving an ice cream experience while in nearby New Hampshire, stop here –
- Bishop’s Ice Cream – A perfect ice cream stop after exploring all the neat shops on the very popular Main Street in Littleton NH. This ice cream kitchen is cranking out some yummy flavors. Go ahead, try 2 or 3, no one is looking. (Open May – early Oct) Location: 183 Cottage Street, Littleton, NH