This delicious Sweet Potato Coconut Curry soup hits so many flavorful notes.
It certainly will become one of your best go-to soup recipes. And for those seeking terrific gluten free and vegetarian recipes, this is a winner!
Prep note: Have a blender & fine mesh strainer on hand
Recipe yields: 6 hearty servings. This soup freezes well.
2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 lbs)
4 TBSP unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
2 large shallots, chopped
2 cups coconut milk
3 1/2 cups of water
4 tsp kosher salt
1½ tsp fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
1 TBSP Vadouvan curry powder
2 tsp finely chopped fresh chives
Nice high quality olive oil (such as olio verde extra virgin)
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 1″ dice. Set aside.
- In a 3-4 quart sauce pan, melt butter over medium to low heat
- Add shallots to butter and cook, stirring occasionally until the shallots are soft but not colored, about 5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, 3 1/2 cups of water, 4 tsp of salt, and curry powder. Stir.
- Add the sweet potato , then increase the heat to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until the sweet potato are cooked thoroughly (should be able to pierce with a knife).
- Puree the soup in batches in the blender. Pass it through a fine mesh strainer, pressing the solids with a ladle, into a bowl or clean sauce pan. Discard the solids.
- Gently reheat the soup, Stir in the lime. Season to taste with additional salt, curry powder, and more lime juice, as desired.
- Divide soup among 6 serving vessels. Top with chives, a pinch of curry, and a drizzle of olive oil.
And remember, always taste, season, and taste again.
BONUS: Check out our online recipe files for more terrific recipes from the Rabbit Hill Inn kitchen. Use the search box for specific interests.