Orange Apricot Coffee Cake Recipe from the recipe files of Rabbit Hill Inn
You are going to love this moist Orange Apricot Coffee Cake. The luscious orange apricot puree filling makes this cake extra awesome! You can jazz it up with struesel topping or orange glaze. Use this basic coffee cake recipe for all kinds of flavor combinations. The cake freezes well.
Supplies to have on hand – parchment paper & food processor
Basic Coffee Cake Ingredients:
6 oz butter / softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Orange Apricot Filling Ingredients & method:
1 box of dried apricots
- In a medium sauce pan, cover a full box of dried apricots with orange juice.
- Bring to boil, then remove from heat.
- When cool, pour contents in food processor. Set to course or fine puree depending on your preference. Mixture should be on the stiffer side (not soupy).
- If it is soupy, set a strainer over a bowl and pour through to remove excess liquid.
- Set this mixture aside for later use.
Method for cake: Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees
- Sift together dry ingredients (flour,baking soda, baking powder,salt)
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- To the cream mixture, add eggs, one at a time. Scrape the bowl. Then add vanilla, and sour cream to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Mix in dry ingredients until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Line a 10″ cake pan with a thin layer of oil, and a piece of parchment cut to size.
- Spread 2/3 of batter into cake pan.
- Spread apricot orange mixture in a circle on top of the batter, an inch from the side of the pan.
- Top with the rest of the batter.
- This is the point where you would add a struesel of crumb topping, if desired.
- Bake at 325 degrees – about 45 minutes to an hour, until tester comes out clean.
BONUS: Check out our online recipe files for more terrific recipes from the Rabbit Hill Inn kitchen. Use the search box for specific interests.