Saint Benedict Abbey / Saint Benoit-du-lac Is An Inspiring Day Trip to Canada
Rabbit Hill Inn is just 84 miles to Saint Benedict Abbey / Saint Benoit-du-lac located on the shores Lake Memphremagog in Eastern Townships of Quebec Canada. Rabbit Hill Inn is only one hour to the Canadian Border.
Visitors make their way to this serene monastery of Benedictine monks for several different reasons. Yet, they all discover more than they anticipated. The most popular reasons to visit the Saint Benedict Abbey are:
- Attend worship and listen to the therapeutic sounds of the Gregorian chanting. Mass is held daily at 10:45 – 11:45. Their service is spoken in French. But that does not in the slightest way dilute the magnitude of this wonderful experience.
- The architecture: Explore the impressive 1912 Art Deco influenced architecture of the Saint Benoit du Lac Abbey.
- Learn about the lifestyle of Benedictine Monks. Consider taking a private 50 minute tour. Tours are offered daily, either at 10 am or 2 pm, from June 23 – Oct 16. The fee is $12 per adult. For reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The grounds – there is a serene feeling that comes to those who take time to wander these peaceful grounds. There are hiking trails on property as well. Take a picnic and enjoy the glorious views of mountains and the lake. We’ll gladly prepare a lovely picnic lunch for you.
- The apple orchards – pick your own apples at the stunning apple orchards. Open dates for the Apple Orchards at Saint Benoit-du-lac: Every weekend Labor day through Thanksgiving Day
- The famous Saint Benoit du lac shop – Check out the the over-the-top delicious cheese!! And the wide variety of homemade products such as preserves, applesauce, cider, apple butters & jellies. Everything is made at the monastery and priced reasonably.
Hours of the St. Benedict Abbey Shop – Daily 9 am – 5 pm. Closed during mass 10:45 am – 11:45 am daily. Closed Dec 25 & 26, Jan 1 & 2, Good Friday, Easter Monday, and May 22.
Here’s what you need to know before going to Saint Benedict Abbey (Saint Benoit-du-Lac)
- Passport IS required to cross the Canadian Border
- Location: 1 Rue Principale, Saint-Benoît-du-Lac , Eastern Townships of Quebec Canada
- Directions from Rabbit Hill Inn to Saint Benedict Abbey / Saint Benoit-du-lac (just 84 miles)
- Cost: There is no cost to visit the Saint Benedict Abbey. However donations are appreciated.
Rabbit Hill Inn is just one hour to the Canadian border and an additional short drive to the Eastern Townships. Your Vermont getaway can also be an international vacation. There are so many wonderful places to see just over the border in the nearby Eastern Townships of Canada. Check out our other wonderful Canadian day trips. And do NOT forget your passport!