Almond Orange Coffee Cake Recipe from the recipe files of Rabbit Hill Inn
You are going to love this moist Almond Orange Coffee Cake with creamy marzipan filling in the center. The flavor is heavenly and the orange zest glaze takes it over the top! Use this basic coffee cake recipe for all kinds of flavor combinations. The cake freezes well. The photos below will clearly explain how to prepare and apply the almond paste to create a perfect center filling.
1 cup butter 1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs 1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 cup sour cream ¼ tsp baking soda
8 oz almond paste (marzipan)
1 Tbsp orange zest
Ingredients for Glaze:
1 Tsp orange zest
¼ orange juice
1 cup confectioners sugar
Method for cake: Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and sour cream to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda and continue to mix.
- Grease and flour coat a Bundt cake pan.
- Spread half of the batter into Bundt cake pan.
- On clean surface, roll almond paste until you have created a long tubular strip. (long enough to go around center of pan). SEE PHOTO BELOW
- Then, roll the almond paste in orange zest until fully coated.
- Placed the orange coated almond paste strip on top of the batter in the pan. This creates a flavorful center in your cake. SEE PHOTO BELOW
- Cover and spread the rest of the batter over your almond paste filling.
- Bake at 325ºF until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Method for glaze:
- Mix together confectioner sugar, orange juice, and orange zest. Glaze cake.