This might sound a bit wacky, but guests absolutely LOVE it. You have got to try this recipe!
Rice Crispy Encrusted Scallops with Grilled Asparagus and Melon (Appetizer to serve 4)
- 8 Large Sea Scallops (U/10)
- 1/2 cup Rice Crispies
- 1/3 of melon (honeydew or canteloupe)
- 12 Asparagus Spears
- 1/2 bunch parsley-chopped Egg wash (beaten egg in bowl)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Prep hot grill /Have blender handy
Chef note: Only use very fresh dry-packed scallops, nothing soaked in “treated liquid”.
Method for purees:
- Cut asparagus spears in half and place on hot grill. Cook only 1/2 way through. Set aside
- Place melon pieces on grill until slightly limp. Remove and set aside.
- Cut tips off 6 asparagus spears. Place stalks in blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Rinse blender. Place melon pieces in blender (no rind). Puree until smooth. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
Method for scallops:
- From scallops, remove tough ligament if still attached. Rinse and pat dry.
- Coat the flat sides of each scallop with Rice Crispies. Brush with egg wash. Keep sides clear of Rice Crispies. Secure the coating by patting down with hands.
- Place a skillet on medium high heat. Heat 1 tsp of oil. Sear the flat sides of scallops only until golden in color.
- If they need to cook more, place them on baking sheet and bake in oven at 350 degrees until preferred doneness. Note 2-3 minutes = medium rare.
- In bowl, toss remaining asparagus spears with a little EVOO and 1/2 the parsley.
- Spoon some asparagus puree on the center of each plate.
- Place the asparagus spears on top of puree.
- Spoon the melon puree all around, as garnish design
- Place scallops on top of asparagus. Drizzle with a little EVOO. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve & enjoy.