This delicious savory scone recipe often appears on our breakfast buffet. By popular request, Pastry Chef Phyllis is sharing the recipe. This versatile scone recipe is a real keeper! You can enhance it with a variety of flavorings (sweet or savory) and modify options (such as nuts, seeds, cheese, other dried fruits, etc). This easy scone mix recipe yields 8 scones. Have parchment paper on hand.
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
½ cup finely chopped sundried tomato
¼ cup chopped chives or scallions
¼ cup cold butter, cut in cubes
½ cup buttermilk
Method: Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Have parchment paper on hand.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. Toss in chives & tomato
- Add butter cubes into flour mixture & work lightly info flour
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk & egg together. Add to flour mixture and knead until combined
- Flour your hands and pat the dough into a 7-8” circle on a parchment lined baking pan.
- Cut into 8 wedges.
- Brush scones with some egg wash.
- Bake 15-17 minutes at 375 degrees until golden color & toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on rack. Re-cut wedges. Serve warm. Or freeze.