in a Golden Lentil Coulis served with Shrimp & Spinach Risotto
— Yields 5
Ingredients for Chicken:
- 5 Boneless, skin on chicken breasts
- 5 slices of lemon
- 3 oz olive oil
- 2 oz vegetable oil
- 5 Tbls butter
- 1/3-cup fresh minced parsley, chive and thyme
- 3 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- freshly milled black pepper
- 1 Tbls salad oil per chicken breast
- salt to taste
- Stuff 1 Tbls of butter and 1 slice of lemon underneath the skin of each breast.
- Combine fresh herbs, olive oil, and lemon juice. Pour over chicken breasts.
- Season with black pepper.
- Marinate chicken for 2-3 hours.
- Heat salad oil in a sauté pan until very hot. Add chicken, skin side down.
- Season with salt.
- Cook for 1 minute or until golden brown.
- Turn and cook for 1 minute more.
- Remove from pan and place on a wire rack in the oven at 275°F for 25 minutes.
Ingredients for Golden Lentil Coulis: (Yields 2 cups)
- ½ cup diced onions
- 1 ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbls minced parsley
- 6 oz golden lentils
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 Tbls butter
- 3 oz white wine
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- Salt, white pepper, fresh lemon juice to taste
- Heat butter in a sauté pan until hot. Add onions, celery, garlic, and parsley and sauté for 7-10 minutes.
- Add white wine, bring to a boil and reduce by half.
- Add lentils and chicken stock, bring to a boil; then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Puree in a food processor.
- If sauce is too thick, add a little more chicken stock to reach desired consistency.
Ingredients for Shrimp & Spinach Risotto: (Yields 5 servings)
- 1¼ cups risotto
- 1/3 cup celery, diced small
- 1 Tbls garlic
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ¾ cup onion, diced small
- 1 red pepper, diced small
- 3 Tbls butter
- 4 oz raw shrimp, diced small
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat butter in a pan. Add onions, celery, red pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- Add risotto, coating the pan evenly with the rice.
- Reduce heat to low, add 1 cup of stock, and cook until the stock has been absorbed.
- Repeat this process 4 times. With the last cup, add the spinach and shrimp.
- When the last cup has been absorbed, stir in parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
From the recipe files of: Russell Stannard, Executive Chef