Have you heard? Kale is all the rage right now! And if you have never tried it before, this is your opportunity to do something really good for yourself. It’s bursting with nutrients and according to Dr. Oz, it’s a SUPER FOOD!! This delicious kale salad was a HUGE hit on our fall menu. After several guest requests, our chefs provided the detailed recipe. It looks like a long, complicated recipe. Don’t get discouraged – it really isn’t complicated at all. They just broke down each step for easy prep. Some steps can be done in advance. As a bonus… you may find yourself using these 4 components for other dishes as well.
Raw Kale Salad with pickled apples, black barley, walnut brittle, and curry vinaigrette Serves 4
Ingredients & Preparation of the Walnut Brittle:
1 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup water & ¼ tsp distilled vinegar (mixed)
¼ cup walnut pieces
Pinch of salt
Pinch of Baking soda
- In a shallow pan, lined with parchment paper, spread walnuts. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat water/vinegar and sugar until light brown.
- Remove from heat, add salt & baking soda. Stir well
- Pour liquid over walnuts. Allow to cool.
- Chop into pieces and sprinkle over completed salad before serving.
Ingredients & Preparation of Pickled Apples:
3 cups water 3 cloves
2 cups Champagne vinegar 3 allspice berries (or ¼ tsp ground allspice)
1 cup granulated sugar 1 lemon peel (not zest, peel strips from 1 lemon)
1 vanilla bean, split & scraped 3 apples, cored, diced
1 cinnamon stick
- Combine all ingredients except apples in a sauce pan, over high heat. Boil for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let steep for 15 minutes
- Place apples in a large bowl, pour liquid over apples
- Allow to pickle overnight. Save some pickling liquid for the vinaigrette recipe below
Ingredients & Preparation of Curry Vinaigrette: Will need blender
1 medium onion – diced 2 Tbsp cumin seeds
¼ tsp ground nutmeg 2 Bay Leaves
5 Cardamom Pods (or ½ tsp ground) 1 tsp Fenugreek
3 Cloves ½ cup Coriander
1 cinnamon stick 1 cup & 1 Tbsp Grapeseed Oil
1 tsp peppercorns ½ cup Apple Pickling Liquid (recipe below)
- Sauté onion and spices in 1 Tbsp Grapeseed oil until tender.
- Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Serve at once or keep warm.
Ingredients & Preparation of Black Barley:
2 cups of Black Barley
½ cup onion, finely diced
2 qts vegetable stock or water
2 Bay leaves
2 Tbsp Grapeseed oil
- In a medium size sauce pan, heat oil on high heat
- Sauté onion and bay leaves until onion is clear
- Add barley and toast lightly (until it smells like toasted bread)
- Add vegetable stock (or water) and simmer until tender
- Drain liquid and chill barley
Prepare & Assemble Salad:
4-6 cups of chopped kale, center ribs & stems removed, washed well
- On individual serving plates, place even portions of barley and kale. Add apples. Dress with vinaigrette. Sprinkle top with crushed walnut brittle.