Rabbit Hill Inn Wild Mushroom & Fig Stuffed Apples Recipe - This is a perfect accompaniment to any entree dish. And a terrific way to use up those extra apples. This recipe yields 6 servings/apples. If you try this, be sure to post your results on our FaceBook Page. Better yet, post a picture of your stuffed apples!
4 Tbls Butter 1 cup minced onion
2 cups sliced, mixed wild mushrooms ¾ Tbls minced garlic
4 roughly chopped fresh figs 2 Tbls minced fresh sage
¼ cup chopped chestnuts ½ tsp salt
3 oz stock (canned or homemade) 6 of your favorite apples
Method: Set oven to 275 degrees
- Heat butter in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sage and continue cooking until mushrooms are soft. Add chestnuts, salt, and stock and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Core the apples. Using a paring knife, expand the opening enough to hold the filling.
- Put a small amount of water in a baking dish and place the apples in the dish for blanching.
- Put the baking dish of apples in a 275°F oven until the apples just begin to soften but are still firm. Remove from the oven to cool.
- Stuff the apples generously with the filling.
- Increase oven temp to 325°F. Reheat in a steamer or for 5-6 minutes in a 325°F oven .