This delicious Oatmeal Molasses Bread recipe has been baked and served at Rabbit Hill Inn for more than 100 years. We serve it in small individual loaves. But you certainly can make any size you wish. It also makes great dinner rolls. Make double batches, it freezes very well.
Recipe yields 2 standard loaves (approx 9×5).
1 cup quick oats 1 ½ Tbls. Butter
1 package dry yeast ½ cup warm water
½ cup molasses 2 teaspoons salt
4 ⅔ cups flour
* Bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
* Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of quick oats and 1 ½ Tbls. of butter. Let stand for 1 hour.
* Soak 1 package of dry yeast in ½ cup lukewarm (105°F) water for 5 minutes.
* Stir until dissolved and add ½ cup of molasses, 2 teaspoons of salt, and the oatmeal mixture.
* Continue to stir thoroughly while adding 4 ⅔ cups of flour.
* Knead for 8 minutes.
* Allow to rise until doubled in bulk. Divide into 2 pieces and mold into 2 loaves of bread.
* Leave to rise in a warm place covered with a towel until doubled in size.
* Bake at 350°F for approx 30-40 minutes (or until done/golden brown). Make note: Some home ovens require a temp of 375°
** If using a convection oven, bake at 325 for 10 minutes, Then, rotate loaves, and bake for additional 8-10 minutes (or until done).