Apple Cardamom Cake – A favorite apple cake served on the Tea table at Rabbit Hill Inn. Apple & Cardamom go together so well. Have you ever used this spice? It has a unique slightly sweet & savory flavor – making it very versatile in the kitchen. Some describe the flavor as slightly sweet, floral, and spicy. Use it in baking, deserts, meats, poultry, seafood, and vegetable dishes.
As a bonus… Dr. Oz says that Cardamom is one of the FIVE SPICES TO INVIGORATE HEALTH & ENERGY! So go forth and cook up a storm with cardamom. And let them eat cake
Yields a 9 x 11 cake
Ingredients for Cake:
¾ cup sugar 3 eggs
½ tsp vanilla 1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamom ½ tsp salt
6 oz melted butter ¾ cup half + half
1 lb apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a mixer, combine sugar and eggs and mix until light and slightly thickened.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cardamom, and salt. Mix until combined.
- While mixer is running, slowly add melted butter and half + half.
- Add apples to the batter.
- Spread into a greased and floured cake pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes rotating halfway through the baking cycle.
- Cake is done when a knife inserted through the center comes out clean.
- Drizzle with cardamom icing (instructions below).
Ingredients for Cardamom Icing:
1 stick butter 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp cardamom ½ cup half + half
- Combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, and cardamom.
- Slowly add half + half a little at a time while mixing until your desired consistency is reached
- If you make the icing in advance, keep it refrigerated until it is ready to be used. Then remix it in a mixer. You may need to add a bit more half + half.