This delicious cornmeal scone recipe often appears on our breakfast buffet. By popular request, Pastry Chef Phyllis is sharing the recipe. By the way… this versatile scone recipes is a real keepers! You can enhance it with a variety of flavorings and additional options (such as nuts, raisins, etc).
This cornmeal scone recipe yields 8 scones. Have parchment paper on hand.
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cups cornmeal
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed firm)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup butter (chilled and cut in 1/2″ cubes)
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
egg wash for final brushing before baking
- Stir first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter until you have course crumbs.
- Beat the wet ingredients together. Then stir into the dry mixture, just until combined.
- Flour your hands and pat the dough into 8″ circle on baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Cut circle into 8 pie wedges. Brush with beaten egg wash.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden color.