Vermont Cabot Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe from Rabbit Hill Inn
This creamy Vermont cheddar cheese soup recipe will become one of go-to soup recipes. It is FULL of flavor, creamy, yet not too heavy! Don’t hesitate to change things up. Add in whatever you may have on hand – cooked bacon or pancetta pieces, smoked chicken or sauteed broccoli flowerettes. Of course… we make ours with Vermont’s Cabot Cheddar Cheese.
This recipe yields 10 servings.
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 Tbls. unsalted butter
- 4 Tbls. Flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a soup pot. When hot, add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat. Sprinkle flour on top and stir constantly for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, one cup at a time. Whip to incorporate each time. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain soup through a mesh strainer into another soup pot, pushing through as much liquid and vegetable as possible.
- Place soup on a very low heat and add cheese, mustard, cream, sun dried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Do not return the soup to a boil.