This creamy Vermont cheddar cheese soup recipe will become one of your favorites. It is FULL of flavor and not too heavy! Go ahead and add stuff, perhaps cooked bacon or pancetta pieces, smoked chicken or sauteed broccoli flowerettes. Of course… we make ours with Vermont’s Cabot Cheddar Cheese.
This recipe yields 10 servings.
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¾ cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6 Tbls. unsalted butter
- 4 Tbls. Flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a soup pot. When hot, add onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes over medium heat. Sprinkle flour on top and stir constantly for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, one cup at a time. Whip to incorporate each time. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Strain soup through a mesh strainer into another soup pot, pushing through as much liquid and vegetable as possible.
- Place soup on a very low heat and add cheese, mustard, cream, sun dried tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Do not return the soup to a boil.