Corn and Rye Whiskey Soup Recipe from Rabbit Hill Inn
Our Chef was prepping for a busy Saturday night. He decided to feature some very fresh sweet corn for the soup of the evening. Sure, he could have made a delicious corn chowder. But no… he began to craft a totally awesome and unique soup – Corn and Rye Whiskey Soup. Rye Whiskey? In soup? You bet.
But he didn’t stop there. He then pickled fresh corn kernels and diced some of his Pablano sausage to sprinkle on the top of the soup. The dining crowd went crazy over it! Chef is encouraging you to try this at home. Here’s his recipe. (Lucky for us… he wrote it down right after he made the soup.)
Corn and Rye Whiskey Soup Recipe – yields 4 quarts
Prep Note: Have blender on hand. Recipe begins with Sweet corn stock recipe.
Part One: Ingredients for corn stock:
12 cobs of fresh sweet corn
3-6 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Tbsp whole black peppercorns
1 medium onion, quartered
Method for corn stock:
- Remove the corn kernels from cobs. Set kernels aside. Reserve cobs.
- Place cobs in a pot just large enough to hold them and cover with cold water.
- Add thyme, peppercorns, one quartered onion.
- Bring to gentle boil, then reduce to simmer for 40 -60 minutes (or until you have a nice corn flavored stock.
- Strain and set aside
Part Two: Ingredients for soup:
2 medium onions, sliced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Qt heavy cream
1 cup white wine
1 cup Rye Whiskey
Salt & pepper
Corn Stock (recipe follows below)
Method for Soup:
- In a large pot, heat a thin layer of oil. Add garlic and sliced onion. Over medium heat, sweat onion and garlic until softened
- Add corn kernels. Sauté lightly.
- Remove pan from heat. Add wine and whiskey.
- Return to medium heat and reduce by two thirds
- Add cream and reduce by ½
- Let cool slightly. Then place your corn & cream mixture into blender. Blend until smooth.
- As you blend, add your corn stock to achieve desired consistency. Work this process in batches if needed.
- Once desired consistency is reached, and all batches are together, add salt & pepper to taste
This delicious sweet corn and rye whiskey soup is ready to serve.