This cake recipe hits many pleasure buttons – maple – caramel – pumpkin. Expect applause when you serve this heavenly maple cake to your friends & family. This recipe yields one 9″ cake or 8 individual ramekin size cakes. At Rabbit Hill Inn, we prefer the smaller individual sized servings. Serve with flavored whipped cream or your favorite ice cream.
Ingredients For the Caramel:
1-cup maple syrup
¼ cup heavy cream
2 Tbls butter
Ingredients For the Cake Batter:
6 Tbls butter ½ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar 1 egg
½ cup pumpkin ½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp clove ¼ tsp ginger
1/8 tsp salt 1/3 cup buttermilk
½ tsp baking powder ¼ tsp baking soda
1-cup all-purpose flour
- Boil 1 cup of syrup until it reaches 240°F or soft ball stage.
- Add 2 Tbls butter and ¼ cup heavy cream and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour into greased ramekins.
- Chill while mixing the cake batter below.
- Cream the butter and the sugars together until there are no lumps.
- Add the pumpkin and eggs and mix.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, ginger, salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour, and buttermilk and mix until well incorporated.
- Spoon into the ramekins and bake at 325°F for 45-50 minutes.
- Let set for 3-5 minutes before turning out the cakes onto plates.
- Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream.