This delicious coffeecake often appears on our breakfast buffet. By popular request, Pastry Chef Phyllis is sharing the recipe. As a time saver, she suggests using a high quality purchased lemon curd. But if you wish, she will gladly share her lemon curd recipe. Just send a request on FaceBook. By the way… the coffeecake and streusel topping recipes are real keepers! Using this as your basic cake, the flavor options are endless.
… special shout out to Jennifer B from NH who really enjoyed this cake during her visit. 😉
Rabbit Hill Inn Lemon Curd Poppy Seed Coffeecake Recipe Yield one 9″ cake
Ingredients for cake batter:
1 cup butter 1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar 2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs 1 ½ tsp baking powder
1-cup sour cream ¼ tsp baking soda
Jar of lemon curd (if you wish to make your own, feel free to ask for our recipe)
Ingredients for streusel topping:
1 cup flour 1 cup sugar ½ cup melted butter
Blend these ingredients and set aside.
- Grease & flour a 9” cake pan. Pre-heat oven to 325ºF
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and sour cream to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add flour, baking powder, and baking soda and continue to mix.
- Spread half of the batter into the pan.
- Apply a layer of lemon curd
- Sprinkle a layer of poppy seeds
- Spread the rest of the batter over the lemon curd
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top.
- Bake at 325ºF until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.