Fact: Vermont makes very, very good craft beer. And beer lovers are flocking to Northern Vermont to taste (and fill their trunks) with all the nationally award-winning craft beers made right here in the Northeast Kingdom. Our guests love to go on our “Top Local Breweries Tour” – featuring the best of the best for Vermont craft beers. Case in point, the world famous Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro, Vermont has become the ultimate beer pilgrimage. This is why we proudly list it as first place for our Top Six Brew Tour. Here’s what you need to know:
Hill Farmstead Brewery in Greensboro, VT: Without doubt, this deserves first position. It IS the ultimate beer pilgrimage. Hill Farmstead Brewery has been named 2013 Best Brewery in the World, as well as Best Brewery in Vermont and Best Brewery in New England by RateBeer, the world’s largest, most popular beer review and rating website. Also, eight of its beers were listed in the top ten new beers in the world by RateBeer. DO NOT MISS a visit to Hill Farmstead. Make sure there is ample room in your trunk.
- Hill Farmstead Brewery, 403 Hill Rd, Greensboro Bend, VT (802) 533-7450 http://www.hillfarmstead.com/main/
The Alchemist Brewery in Waterbury, VT: You’ll taste a good variety of great brews here. The Alchemist is home of the flagship double IPA, Heady Topper! Heady Topper is the third highest-rated beer in the world, according to BeerAdvocate. Beer pilgrims come from afar to get their hands on this beer. People still hoard Heady Topper beer. Go there. You’ll start hoarding it too.
- The Alchemist Brewery, 35 Crossroad, Waterbury, VT (802) 244-7744 http://www.alchemistbeer.com
Trapp Lager Brewery at Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VT: Known for their traditional European style Lagers; you can taste a flight of varieties in their bakery/Deli.
- Trapp Lager Brewery , 700 Trapp Road, Stowe VT (802) 253-5709 http://www.trappfamily.com/amenities/dining/brewery
Trout River Brewing Co. in Lyndonville, VT: The closest brewery to Rabbit Hill Inn. Be sure to call first, hours are limited. Taste a variety of seasonal brews here. On weekends, they also make terrific hand tossed pizza.
- Trout River Brewing Co, Kingdom Brewing Co, Route 5, Lyndonville VT (802) 626-9396 http://www.troutriverbrewing.com/index.shtm
Rock Art Brewery in Morrisville, VT: These guys produce a large variety of Vermont beers — 17 at our last count. Tastings and self-guided tours await you here.
- Rock Art Brewery, 632 Laporte Rd/Rt 100, Morrisville, VT (802) 888-9400 http://www.rockartbrewery.com/home
Kingdom Brewers in Newport, VT: This northernmost brewery in Vermont sits high atop Coburn hill in Newport Center one mile past the end of Route 100. Brian and Jenn Cook started Kingdom Brewing with the intent to brew terrific craft beers with American grains and local ingredients. Visit them and their beer- loving Angus herd.
- Kingdom Brewers, 1876 Vermont Rt 105, Newport, VT (802) 334-7096 https://www.facebook.com/brewing.kingdom
These are just a few of our favorite Vermont craft breweries. Next time you stay at Rabbit Hill Inn, be sure to plan a day to go on a Brewery Tour. There are so many others to explore. Check out the official Vermont brewery map.